Saturday, September 17, 2005

Pastimes is in the Past.

I was going to spend as much of today in my jammies as possible. I was watching NYPD Blue and knitting when the postwoman dropped off my mail at around 2pm. When I saw the postcard announcing that Pastimes in Kent is not only closing, but having a big going-out-of-business sale starting TODAY, I knew that I couldn't wear jammies any longer.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comI haven't shopped at Pastimes much -- there are so many other yarn shops that are closer to me -- but I always thought it was a beautiful space. There are wall to wall windows that let in loads of natural light and the yarn and pattern books are all beautifully displayed in dark wood armoirs. Sadly, Pastimes' business has severely dropped over the past several months and they're closing shop.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comI was able to get 10 skeins of Rowan All Seasons cotton in a periwinkle color called Ravish, and 10 skeins of Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool in Graphite. The latter is hoping to become Marilyn's Not-So-Shrunken Cardigan from Knit and Tonic.




I was glad to find Erika Knight's Simple Knits for Cherished Babies and Zoe Mellor's 50 Baby Booties to Knit; they've both been on my wish list. I also picked up a few incidentals: a CHIBI, some stitch markers, and a stitch holder. The basket was just meant to be a shopping basket, but since we spent over an hour together in line waiting to check out, we developed a fondness for one another and the basket was mine for $10. I'm a sucker for slightly irregular, rustic baskets.