Thursday, January 18, 2007

Mutant Jemima

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Jemima, My Fashionable Life
RYC CashSoft DK, Ballad Blue and Lime
Addi Turbos, US6 and US8
Photos and art direction by various second grade students

It all started with the yarn. I bought the CashSoft on eBay with an entirely different project in mind, but later decided it wasn't for me after all. Soon after, I saw Jemima, a cozy, whimsical top that called for the exact same yarn. Bingo.

Except that I wanted it to be more fitted, longer and have waist shaping. So I used the pattern for my VK Shawl Collar Pullover for the length and shaping of the lower half of the sweater.

Then I decided that I would never find buttons that I liked or that matched the yarn well. Mom was a seamstress when I was young and I learned that buttons can make or break a garment. I talked to her about it and decided that it would be best to ixnay the button placket altogether.

So, you see, this really isn't a Jemima anymore.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This was my first time with the tubular cast-on and I loved it. I learned how to do a tubular bind off from Jody; her tutorial is fantastic.

As soon as I put it on, I loved the feel of the fabric; this yarn at this gauge produces a lovely drapey fabric. So warm and soft! Right now it feels very comfortable, like a luxurious sweatshirt for a cool, casual day. The arm hole fits me really well. I think that's what I'm trying to say... whenever I buy ready-to-wear anything (tops, bathing suits, wedding dress), I have to shorten the straps; they're always too long on me. I ended up with a short armhole for my short torso, yay!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

In the end, it's not my favorite sweater, but they can't all be favorites. I think I'll like it even more next fall when I'm done nursing and am all the way back in shape.