Saturday, April 19, 2008

Ooh, La La!

Photo 7

La Parisenne Beret
Mountain Colors Bearfoot, Winter Sky, .4 skein
US3 needles

I suddenly wanted a beret last week, and it's a good thing, too: we've been getting snow in Seattle in April! Wha...? This beret is meant to be knit with two contrasting colors to really show off the chevron stitch pattern, but I was looking for something unsocklike to do with my sock yarn, and decided to go for it with the one colorway. I think it turned out beautifully. The handpainted colors still "move well" (says Jenna) within the stitch pattern without being garish at all. When I finished knitting, it fit my head, but I wasn't sure it qualified as a beret. Wet blocking with a dinner plate inside remedied that right away; the resulting fabric is soft and drapey and the shape is definitely all beret. Bonus: it's not so tight on my head that I get hat hair after wearing it! Woot! For such a lightweight hat, it's a lovely warm layer for this insane weather we're having.

Photo 6Photo 12

And the 'Nut likes it, too!

Raveled here.