Monday, July 27, 2009

Onion Dill Bread

Recent tweets about bread machine baking reminded me of the one I have buried deep, deep in the pantry. An old boyfriend gave it to me about a century ago. I loved the smell of the fresh bread baking and I don't remember why I let it sit so long... possibly because it only makes little one pound cubes of bread that are gone before you can even bake another one? I pulled it out last night, along with my copy of The Bread Machine Baker by Elizabeth Harbison (great book for me because all of these recipes yield 1 lb.), and threw together some Onion Dill Bread. Mmmm. mmmm. m. My girl loves helping in the kitchen and liked seeing the machine do all the stirring for us.

Onion Dill Bread
"This is a delicious "eat it hot out of the bread machine" bread. It doesn't even need butter. I have had success substituting yogurt for the sour cream for a lower-calorie treat."

2 t or 1/2 package of yeast
2 c bread flour
1/4 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 egg
1/4 c water
1/2 c cottage cheese
1/2 c sour cream
2 T sugar
2 T minced dried onion
1 T + 1 t dried dill seed (I suspect this is a typo for dill weed)
1 T butter

In a warm saucepan, combine water, cottage cheese, sour cream, sugar, onion, dill and butter, until melted.

Add all the ingredients to the machine in the order listed. Choose either regular or light crust (depending on your preference) and push "Start."