Wednesday, May 04, 2005

More Book Reviews and a New Project

Oh how I love my library system! I checked out two more sock books this weekend:

Image hosted by Photobucket.comSocks Socks Socks: 70 Winning Patterns From the Knitter's Magazine Contest

Hmm. All the winners are very talented, but who is really wearing all of these crazy socks?? Did you see all the cutesy intarsia sockies with little piggie toes or the striped rainbow socks with 24 colors? Woah. There were a couple that I would consider making, but nothing that I couldn't find somewhere else (like Knitting on the Road! I think I'm falling in love with that book!)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com50 Baby Bootees to Knit, by Zoe Mellor

Cuteness! Cuteness! I've heard criticism that there really aren't 50 patterns, just several variations on a theme. But dang, the variations are sweet. I don't like paying $25 for this book, but on the other hand, it would be really handy to have around for baby shower inspiration. Must keep an eye out at Overstock.com.

Another good thing about this book is the package... it's hardback with a spiral binding. I love that.

I'm going to make a pair of the teddy bear booties from this book for my dear friend Stasie's boy, Dylan, who was just born Friday. Here's the yarn I ordered for Dylan's teddy bear booties; I tried a new online yarn shop called Fuzzy Mabel and my package arrived super quickly, contents packed with a cute purple ribbon and then wrapped in purple tissue paper. This is an 8-ply washable wool. Of course the colors aren't accurate; use your imagination!

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com