Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Second Thoughts

Comments about Purple Peppermint Twist are causing me to have second thoughts about frogging. I think I'll spend a few minutes with the pieces I have and see if I can make it work. I was most concerned about the stretch factor. I know that twisted knits stretch less than untwisted ones do. But the place I would most need the stretch would be in the bust, and I'm not up to the bust yet on the piece I've got started. Maybe that piece could be the back, and a new, more perfect piece could be the front? We'll see. Mariah and baby bootees are top priority this week.

Talk amongst yourselves:
a thigh-master is neither a thigh nor a master. Discuss!


Carolyn tagged me with the book meme this weekend. Little did she know, I am a book fiend. (Especially B.K.... before knitting!) I even used to write reviews for MostlyFiction.com. Anyway, I have a lot of books. :)

Here are the questions:

1)Total number of books in your house:
There must be 1000+. Most are literature, some are travel guides, cookbooks and knitting books, and there are a few other how-to or reference books. Mr. Goodkarma mostly reads business or investing books, but only 1-2 a year.

2)The last book you bought was:
Fodor's Hawaii. We're going in July. Yay! I told you my blog is called goodkarmago for a reason!

3)What was the last book you read?
Hotel Du Lac by Anita Brookner. I've been in a book funk or a rut of some kind, and nothing I've picked up over the past year really rocked my boat. I've probably been giving too much of my free time/attention to knitting. Anyway, this book renewed my love affair with literature. Brookner's language is elegant. Her observation of characters, human behavior and social mores were both intelligent and subtle. What should a woman hope for or strive for? Social acceptance or integrity? A businesslike marriage or independence and a career?

4)Write down 5 (or 6) books you often read or that mean a lot to you.

Well, that's tough, but here goes:
Possession by A.S. Byatt
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
Corelli's Mandolin by Louis DeBerniers
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

A few of my favorite authors:
Margaret Atwood
Barbara Kingsolver
Salman Rushdie
Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
Philip Roth
Jhumpa Lahiri
Ian McEwan
Kate Atkinson
Joanne Harris

I love to read about different cultures, especially Latino, African American, African, and Indian literature.

5)Who are you going to pass this onto and why?

I've seen this meme at many blogs lately; if you haven't been tagged yet, please consider yourself IT!